Roasted Acorn Squash Soup

Delicious! That's what this soup is...was. I saw some acorn squash at the grocery store on sale and decided to have a go at making some soup with it. I've never had acorn squash soup before, and after this I know it will be on my menu often. Such a great fall lunch! You can have it for dinner too...but why wait?
My only disappointment was not making a double batch. Next time my friends!






My daughter recently had roasted pumpkin seeds, and when she saw the seeds inside the acorn squash, she asked if we could roast them...Ummm not sure if you can. Never heard of roasting them before, but now I'm curious and will search it.





Delicious recipes like this, makes me wish I were a better photographer. I can snap shots of my family and have them turn out great but with food...NOPE!  I hope you enjoy the recipe. 


Roasted Acorn Squash Soup

1 Acorn Squash
1 tabl olive oil
2 tabl butter
1/2 medium onion-chopped
1 garlic clove-minced
1-1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/4 tea cinnamon
1/8 tea allspice
1/4 tea salt


Heat oven to 400F. Cut the acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and brush on 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Roast the squash in the oven cut sides down for 45 min. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 min.
Meanwhile melt butter in a pan over medium low heat, and add onions. Sauté onions until translucent, then add the garlic. Cook about 2 min.
Scoop out the inside of the squash into a blender, add the onion/garlic mixture, and chicken stock and blend for 2 minutes. Add the seasonings, salt and heavy cream and blend for another 2 minutes.
At this point I added my finished soup to a pot to heat before I served it. And let me tell you, my kids ate this all! 2 of my kids are picky eaters, so I was surprised!

*There are so many things you can do to jazz this dish up, crumbled bacon, parmesan cheese,  roasted chopped cauliflower or carrots for more texture...

No comments:

Post a Comment